Friday, September 11, 2015

You have the answer

Magnet
"At the center of your being you have the answer: you know who you are and you know what you want.” Lao Tzu

So I’m trying to figure out what I’m going to write about. I type the sentence “This is why I love being a career coach” and stop. I walk around the house, reading all my fridge magnets, cut out quotes, magnets on a board upstairs, pages of calendars I’ve saved - looking for something that says why I love coaching more eloquently than I can. And there it is: the Lao Tzu quote that says it all.

I love coaching because I get to help people find their centers, name who they are, and identify where they want to go. So many of my clients come to me overwhelmed, tied up in knots, exhausted, convinced they are somehow wrong – about their lives, their jobs, their careers – and we talk. We just talk – I listen to what they say. I’ve been around a lot – had multiple careers, owned businesses, worked with lots of different types of people. I filter what they are saying through my experience and – this is one of my gifts – I start building them up. I cut through that overwhelming noise in their heads and help them gain clarity.

I point out their talents and skills and explain how those talents and skills have value in the world. I never fake it – it’s way too important to fake. I talk about how we can create strategies to overcome any obstacles they face. And, the vast majority of the time, my clients slowly sit up straighter, their faces relax, their voices relax, and they realize it’s not hopeless. They begin to feel hopeful about their future.

This is where the work starts - in a place where people feel hope, where they begin to understand they do have the answers to their own questions. This is my favorite place. This is why I coach.

Becky
www.beckyberrycoach.com

No comments:

Post a Comment