Saturday, September 12, 2015

it takes courage to grow up and become who you really are




Click here for the video version of this post.

When this appeared in my inbox, it resonated with me. It is so hard to become who you really are. Not who your parents and teachers told you should be. Not who people think you should be. Who you are.

It reminded me of one of my favorite podcast episodes from the Unmistakable Creative. In it Srini Rao talks with Elle Luna about her concept of the “crossroads of Should and Must.” Elle talks about two paths in life – Should and Must – and how we arrive at the place in our lives where they intersect over and over again. So, we are constantly faced with choosing between Should and Must. 

We all know what Should is – you’ve heard it your entire life. You should do this, you should act like this, you should take this job not that one – and on and on. 

But Must. Oh, my! Must is what the voice inside you is telling you that you have to do. Must is who you are. It’s what we know in our deepest and truest place that we have to do. Elle talks about how scary it can be to follow our Must. And yet….

Isn’t our Must who we really are if we strip away all the noise and advice? Doesn’t choosing our Must give us more power, more energy, more light?

And, hey, our Must isn’t necessarily some big, scary, world-changing idea.  Choosing our Must is living into ourselves.

Maybe your Must is working with struggling students, or knowing how to connect with customers in an authentic way, or, maybe it’s being able to help people feel great about themselves, or being the person who can create order out of chaos in a project, or the person who can explain how to organize that room, project, home, event. Or, maybe you are the person who can answer that tech question in a way that makes sense to someone who is struggling – without making them feel stupid.

I’m reaping the benefits of choosing my Must and becoming who I really am. I am an irreverent, bold, sometimes brash, out there kind of person who’s not afraid to jump into the next thing. I have ideas and opinions and I’m not afraid to share them – just ask the people who know me!

I don’t hide these facets of my personality because I finally own that the only way to attract the people I want to be around and to do the work I want to do is if I am fully myself.

My Must has always been helping people understand how wonderful they are and helping them figure out how to get to their next place. I can help you discover your Must and translate it into a career.

It all boils down to:  “it takes courage to grow up and become who you really are.”

Click here to go to The Unmistakable Creative Podcast with Elle Luna.

Click here for Elle Luna's Article: The Crossroads of Should and Must.

Becky
www.BeckyBerryCoach.com

No comments:

Post a Comment