Saturday, September 12, 2015

Don't Let Perfect Get In the Way of Fabulous!



Video version here.

Maybe you’ve heard the saying, “Don’t let perfect get in the way of good enough.” I’ve never liked it. Good enough sounds like code for mediocre to me. 

So my sister and I reframed it as “Don’t let perfect get in the way of fabulous.” I tried it out on my friends at Mellow Mushroom (where I write) and they went crazy for “fabulous.” Like smiling and grinning and saying “that makes me feel great” crazy. Because, you know, fabulous is fabulous and “good enough” is - meh.

Fabulous isn’t perfect. Think about that time when you did something for your boss or co-workers and they went crazy over it. And you were standing there thinking, “What, this? It’s nothing, took 2 minutes. It’s not like it’s perfect or anything.” Ummm. Yep. It’s not perfect; it’s FABULOUS. It’s just what they needed, how they needed it, when they needed it. It’s not “good enough” – it’s head and shoulders above “good enough.” It’s fabulous. Fabulous makes them smile, it makes you smile, it’s a pat on the back.

Here’s how I look at it. If you put your best effort into your work it’s probably pretty good. Then you tweak it a couple of times and it becomes fabulous. It’s probably not perfect. It’s definitely not “good enough.” It’s probably fabulous. And fabulous, well, is fabulous.

Click here for a handy fabulous scale for you. 

Please, don’t let perfect get in the way of fabulous.

Selected articles on this topic:

Becky

No comments:

Post a Comment